<%@include file="menu.html" %>

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Soo Line Railway

Founded in 1883 by Minneapolis millers, and known originally as the Minneapolis and then the Saint Paul & Sault Ste. Marie, the Soo Line railway derived its name from the pronunciation of “Sault.” The Soo Line was built to provide a shorter, cheaper route for western grain to the eastern seaboard; it was later expanded to Emerson, Manitoba. By 1894 the line was completed to North Portal, Estevan, Weyburn, and Moose Jaw. The Soo Line accelerated growth in southeast Saskatchewan and brought American settlers to the area. In 1961, it absorbed the Wisconsin Central and the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic, creating the “new” Soo Line, with 8,000 miles (12,875 km) of track and 7,600 employees. The railway was restructured, so that by 2001 it had 3,200 miles (5,150 km) of track, about 3,000 employees, and was a wholly owned subsidiary of the CPR. The Soo Line has been known as the “little jewel” because of its profitability.

Gregory Salmers

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.